July 20, 2015

A- A A+

When you travel, there are Brazilian institutions that represent you abroad. But… Do you know exactly what each institution is responsible for?

Once I traveled with  a group of co-workers and unfortunately one of us was robbed. They took all his money, his passport and all documents so we went straight to the Embassy to ask for help – just to waste our time, because they couldn’t help us. After taking 2 trains and walking a lot we figured that:

* The embassy is a representative of its government in a foreign country. It acts as a communication channel between governments, handling diplomatic relations between them.

But it isn’t responsible for your documents so a ‘normal’ traveler would not need the embassy services;

* The consulate is a representative of its public administration in a foreign country.  It is responsible for citizens living or traveling in the host country (such as expatriates or travelers – that is, you!). It handles emergency situations, passports, detention or arrest, as well as the registration of births, deaths, marriages, adoptions etc.

CONCLUSION: If you are robbed or lose your passport, first you should call the police and report what happened. They’ll ask you some questions, record your answers and give you a printed document (or it’s number) . You should take that document to the Brazilian Consulate. And please rush, because it takes a while for them to do a new one!

You may read more information about it at:

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/9480/whats-the-difference-between-embassies-and-consulates  – Testimonials copied from: user27478 Sep 13 ’12 at 12:11 and andra Sep 13 ’12 at 11:16



 Next time I lose my passport I’ll go straight to the Consulate – Quack!!


Recent Posts